Friday, February 5, 2010

Get Real With Yourself

This week's blog is going to be about our assigned reading from last week. The chapters covered in the assigned reading elaborated on several points of interest to me. All of which revolve around people's perceptions of what they should believe in. As I read these chapters, I was thinking, are people really this naive, or are we as a society really that entranced in all of this messed up stuff that the book talks about. So, I thought about it for awhile, and what I feel is that there are many people who suffer from this plague of consumerism and misguidance by the media, technology, or just another person's opinion. Yet, there are also folks out there who see the real picture and do not give into it. The ones who don't give into their desires of materialism, are the people who have a good head on their shoulders. If you are really that weak minded that you go out and buy or do something just because everyone else has, then I'm sorry, you are pathetic.

My dad always told me to be a leader and not a follower, and that is exactly what I've strived to grow up to be. There is not one soul out there who's going to talk me into something if I don't like the looks or sound of it. People who I consider to be my good friends are all mostly the same way. Being friends with a bunch of hard headed guys like myself leads to a lot of arguing amongst us, but that's what makes us so close. If we all just gave into what someone said to us right away, then what type of person would that make each of us. We would be a bunch of timid, easily persuaded pee-ons that couldn't think for ourselves. I see people who match that description everyday. I'm not saying they're bad people; they're actually probably more likely to be the ones who don't get into any hairy situations or trouble, because they don't have the self-will to stand up for themselves or what they believe in. Now I'd be a liar if I said that I'm not friends or acquaintances with anyone who is like this, but people like this will never be a good friend to me though. I just can't have a good friend who is going to agree with my every thought or be easily persuaded by the smallest of other people's whims. That is not healthy for them or you as their friend, because if one person makes a bad decision, then who's going to be there to speak up and let that person know that what they are doing or what they are about to do is not right, and how if they decide to make that bad choice, it could possibly lead to them getting into trouble or simply getting nowhere.

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I think you need people in your life to tell you what exactly they think. I try to be one of those friends. All of my friends know they can come to me with a question that requires an opinion and I will give an honest answer. If I don't like your new hairstyle, I'll let you know, but only if you ask my opinion. I wish I had more friends like myself so that I would know what they honesty think about my decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weak mindedness is not caused by the media in total. Self esteem issues can be linked to the media which can be linked to weak mindedness, but to truthfully if your are persuaded like that then you will never be a leader. I agree with you completely, the only way to stand up is to stand out and take some chances...speak your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Chris' statement that weak-mindedness could in fact be the result of low self-esteem via the media or other outside influences. In this sense, a "snowball" effect happens when we try to summon the courage to be who we "truly are"--in fact, we're often told that "who we are" can never be "good" enough. Some people allow this belief to destroy them...though I don't think Justin is one of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of your statements. I have been called an asshole several times because I have spoken my mind to people. People should be more open to suggestion and more open-minded about themselves. Yes media has a large role in self esteem. But like Chris said if the media is ruling your life, then you don't deserve a leadership role.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you are saying when you say that you wouldn't be able to get along with someone who was constantly agreeing with you or constantly at your rear end about everything. People need to speak their minds and not be afraid of the consequences. Take some chances once in a awhile. I like Charles have been called an asshole before for speaking my mind. I don't think that there is anything wrong with this but it does need to be used carefully. People should not let the media control their lives. People need to stand up for what they believe in and preach it to the world

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you and Chris makes a great point. If you let the media control you than you will have a low self esteem which will cause you to not know or want to stand up for yourself. I know I was one of those quiet people who would just do what everyone else said or listened to everyone else but I got really feed up with it. I couldn't stand not speaking up and saying what I really thought. Now I do it all the time and sometimes people don't like it. People don't like to be told how it is but then again they want your opinion.

    ReplyDelete