Friday, January 29, 2010

Thoughts on Mood Disorders and Ecology of the Mind

These first two chapters of the novel Culture Jam were definitely a wierd start to a book. I thought that they gave the book a very "in your face" feeling, and didn't "beat around the bush" in really any way as to the point that the author was trying to get across to the reader. There are a lot of folks that I know from my home town who are pretty conservative, and I can assure you that they would have read the first page of this book and then would thrown it away. I can't say that it didn't offend me a little bit at first either, but as I read on, I saw that many of the things being talked about, really didn't apply to myself. So, I figured I'd have a go at it with an open mind.

The first two chapters were titled Mood Disorders and Ecology of the Mind. They elaborated on exactly that, to say the least. These chapters basically were saying how screwed up this whole country is when it comes to just about everything. The author, who admits to "screwing up" himself plenty of times, really has a yearning to go back to basics when it come to living life, not just for himself thoguh, but for the entire nation to do this. I see where he's coming from, and yes, he's got a valid point, but he's got to realize that we're too far in to fix ourselves and this messed up place we live. Maybe if someone would have thought to do this about 150 years ago, aww say before the Industrial Revolution, the whole plan might have been plausible, but now, in this time and day, come on and get real! It would be nice if things would change, but I just don't see it happening. People, especially people who have grown up in an urban environment are too far entwined in their lives in a city, they would never be able to adjust to a life anywhere else outside of it and its artificial ways. Some could maybe, but most don't have a chance. We have made this bed that we call "LIFE", and now we are the ones who are going to have to lie in it.

5 comments:

  1. Justin,

    I appreciate your honest and candid response to the reading. I'm always looking for students who are willing to "talk back" to texts, especially when their own ideas and values conflict with those of the author. Thanks for having an open mind. I'm curious about your statement that it's too late to turn back. I think the statement is certainly valid, but don't we still have personal choice? Is is possible to step back and imagine our lives lived differently than the status quo? Just some food for thought! Welcome to the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your statement, but I don't think its making a complete change that needs to be done but more along the lines of adapting. we are too far advanced to make things like they used to but people can learn to adapt and maybe not depend on technology as much as people do today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really weirded out about this book when I first began reading it too. I kept on reading it though. I feel the same too about the world being so set in our ways that we aren't going to change anyway. Yes, I would be great if we could but I don't see it happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. The book did weird me out to at first.I feel as if the author is sort of over analyzing things. Like you said Justin. It would be nice to go back to how things used to be but nowadays with all of the advanced technology, there is no way that we will be able to go back to the cultural world. The whole idea of technology and how things are today is to primarily make tasks easier for humans. Technology is basically replacing the cultural world quicker and quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that it was wierd myself. The author kind of kicking us around the fact we rely to much on technology. I felt kind of bad for the kids not having any imagination. It would be nice if we could go back to the "simple" times in life.

    ReplyDelete